An Author Interview with Marissa Meyer!
Published July 19, 2012
I’d just logged on yesterday to put up the week’s blog post, when the cutest email reply popped up from Marissa Meyer! So of course I squealed and scrapped said blog post and decided to give you a super special treat today by introducing you to the very fabulous, very funny, Ms. Marissa Meyer, New York Times bestselling author of CINDER (book one in the Lunar Chronicles series).
You know of whom I speak —> She’s the author of that book I’ve been chatting about for the past two weeks. Yes. That one.
And here’s a picture of her:
Totally adorable, right?
And here’s my interview with her! Feel free to giggle and groove with us and also to join in on my Joss Whedon Cupcake Campaign in which I manipulate him suggest he make CINDER into a movie ;0). As per the usual, her comments are in color, mine in white. Enjoy!
(1) OKAY, word on the street is you’ve got a serious soft spot for fanfic and cosplay. So picture this with me: Comic Con San Diego has just kicked off when a sudden a horde of Queen Levana lookalikes appears blasting David Bowie music and threatening to purge the world of cute cats and ice cream. Do you:
- (A) challenge them to a dance-off for the sake of ice cream and cat lovers everywhere
- (B) go helpless at the sight of their unbelievable beauty and fashion sense
- (C) realize it’s actually Lady Gaga with her entourage, in which case you’ll have to improvise (seeing as a dance-off is entirely too dangerous)
MARISSA: A! Let’s turn on some Labyrinth and get this party started! “You remind me of the babe – WHAT BABE?” *grooves*
Oooh, a Labyrinth dance party?! BEST EVER. *slaps on eyeliner, puffs big hair, and hitches up tight tights* Let’s do this thing.
By the way, have you seen this? (from frabz via my sweet sister)
Um, I think we can all agree that’s just supremely awesome.
(2) Speaking of David Bowie, tight tights, costumes, and Comic-Con, what’s the best cosplay costume you’ve ever worn? Do you have a pic for us?
MARISSA: My all-time favorite was Princess Zelda from the Legend of Zelda video games. I did her super fancy grown-up version and yes, I do have a picture!
*dies* This is AMAZING! (And you look quite lovely!) My 6-year-old son just became your biggest fan. He says he hopes your husband is very much like Link (except hopefully he talks more).
(3) I’m always curious to know what books my favorite authors are reading. Can you share with us the title of the last novel you read?
MARISSA: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson. (Really enjoyed it!)
Oh, oh, oh! *raises hand and waves* Me too! I know that one! I just finished it!!! So good. :0) (“Hmm…so, does this make me cool and up-to-date in the author-reading-book-world?” she wonders to her geek self…)
(4) Favorite fictional boy hottie of all time?
MARISSA: Han Solo. With Tuxedo Mask coming up a very close second.
Oh Han. *sigh*
And Marissa, if we ever meet in person, I must buy you one of these (via geek alerts):
Every time I look at it I want to save him, cuz I know he’d be all like, “Leia? Who’s Leia? I only have eyes for you.”
(5) On the subject of attractive boys, what’s your favorite thing about Kai and Cinder’s friendship?
MARISSA: I love how much admiration they have for each other. Cinder sees Kai as a total hottie, sure, but she also respects him as the next leader of her country. She recognizes that he is smart and honorable and capable of being an amazing emperor. On the other hand, Kai (who has probably never held a screwdriver in his life) completely admires Cinder’s ability to assess problems, fix things, and be resourceful. They have two very different skill sets, and each recognizes the brilliance of the other.
I loved how you developed this in their relationship, and I actually think it’s one of my favorite things about the book. Not only do their characters feel authentic, but so does their friendship. :0)
(6) Speaking of friendship, who would win in a karaoke sing-off – Cinder or Iko? Which song would they sing?
MARISSA: Iko. She would OWN that stage. And now that you have David Bowie on my mind, I think she would probably go with “Fashion.” (“Turn to the left – FASHION!”) If you could convince Cinder to sing at all, which would be no small accomplishment, she would probably get all smart-allecky and sing “Domo Arigatou, Mr. Roboto” or some such.
*grins* Which is why we like them both so much.
(7) So, tell us what we can expect from the rest of The Lunar Chronicles series!
MARISSA: Four awesome heroines, each with their own talents and dilemmas, four gush-worthy heroes, a world in chaos, and a wicked queen who will stop at nothing to get her way. And a spaceship.
Talented heroines, gush-worthy heroes, wicked queen, spaceship. I’m in.
(8) USA Today recently interviewed you and posted an excerpt from SCARLET online, but rumor has it there’s a prequel to the series out there as well. Can you share the link with us?
MARISSA: Gladly – the prequel is called “GLITCHES” and it tells the story of when Cinder came to live with Adri and her family. It can be read on Tor.com: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/12/glitches. And keep your eyes out, a second prequel will be coming out later this year!
*gushes* Oh, I just clicked over and read the first one on Tor! I love it! And what a gorgeous illustration!
Okay, last questions…
(9) As you may be aware (from my whole cupcake campaign thing), we kinda have a thing for eating on this blog. It’s more of an addiction, really. Can you tell us your top three favorite foods?
MARISSA: That’s good, because I kind of have a thing for answering questions about food. Top three: Reese’s peanut butter cups, this amazing peanut butter-chocolate treat my mom makes for the holidays, and… peanut butter. With chocolate.
*drools* *looks up* * wipes face* Um, you’ve officially been inducted into the blog’s food hall of awesomeness.
(10) And do you cook for your cats?
MARISSA: Psh. Cats think highly enough of themselves as it is, so I try not to spoil mine too much. They’re lucky if I put in the effort to open a can, rather than just giving them the dry stuff!
Thanks for hanging with us today, Marissa!!! And thanks to all of you preciouses for grooving along. <3